River City of Three Bridges
The Rotary Club of Mobilong was provisionally formed in Sept 1980 & Chartered on February 28,1981.
The Club was sponsored by the Rotary Club of Murray Bridge with whom it shares the same territory.
The District Council of Murray Bridge formed with the amalgamation of the District Council of Mobilong
and the Corporation of Murray Bridge in 1977.
The name Mobilong is active as in the Hundred of Mobilong.
The first inhabitants in the area were the aborigines of the Ngaralta tribe.
They called the area “Moopaltha-wong”
meaning “Haven of the Birds”.
Mobilong is the white man’s pronunciation of the aboriginal word.
The Hundred of Mobilong was proclaimed in 1860, the township was surveyed in 1883,
and Mobilong remained the official name until 1924.
The town became known as Murray Bridge from 1879 when the first bridge was opened to traffic.
In 1925 the railway bridge was completed and the Swanport Bridge was opened in 1979.
The Rotary Club Of Mobilong was formed in 1980
and Chartered 28 February 1981.
a daughter club of the Rotary Club of Murray Bridge.