Guest Speaker & Dinners
Please see further down the page for more information on each Guest Speaker and their topic.
Tuesday 22 July 2014 - Cathy and Lesley - Update on Umoja
Tuesday 29 July 2014 - Kristen Jewson - Red Cross in Germany
Tuesday 5 August 2014 - Amy Pene - NICU Angel Gown Program Qld
Tuesday 12 August 2014 - Bo (Helene) Morse - her Deployment to the Philippines with Disaster Aid
Tuesday 19 August 2014 - Grant Pforr - Water Wheels Wings
Tuesday 26 August 2014 - Az Hamilton - TAG (Timely Acts of Generosity)
Tuesday TBC - Wendy Mackay - Friendship Exchange to Hawaii
District Governor Official Visit
DG Wendy Scarlett will be visiting our club on October 21, 2014. Please mark your calendars as this is a meeting you don't want to miss!
Regional Member Dinner
Every three months members throughout Australia and the world will be asked to open their homes and invite family and friends over for a meal and social evening. At the end of the dinner, members at the homes will ‘beam in’ to the Forum to listen to a guest speaker and participate in a friendly competition between houses. The competition will focus on 10 questions related to Rotary.
Upcoming Guest Speakers
Cathy and Leslie - Update on Umoja
For more information on Cathy and Leslie's Umoja project, visit their service page.
Kristen Jewson - Red Cross in Germany
My name is Kristen Jewson, better known as KJ.
I am 20 years old and I am currently living with my husband in Germany. At age 17 I left home on an adventure with Rotary Youth Exchange and made the mistake of falling in love with my host country. At 18 I moved to Europe and haven't regretted a single day since.
For the last 2 years I have been a member of the German Red Cross. As a volunteer I have had the chance to experience many things a normal person would never get to. We aid people during catastrophes and in everyday situations. We attend festivals to help drunk and sober people who have managed to injure themselves and are there as moral support to those who just need someone to talk to.
- At 18 I joined the E-club as a founding member.
- At ages 14 and 17 I attended RYPEN and RTYS and look forward to the chance to go to RYLA, if I do ever make it back in time to Australia.
I hope to start studying in the next few years, my goal is to become a mechanical engineer. I am still searching for a uni close to home.
Amy Pene - NICU helping Hands Angel Gown Program Australia
We are a national community organisation of volunteers who hope to touch the hearts of everyone in Australia especially those who suffer the tragic loss of their baby. From donated wedding gowns we lovingly hand craft Angel Gowns and Wraps which are then gifted to Neonatal Intensive Care Units, Hospitals and to anyone in need all around Australia for babies who are born sleeping, born prematurely or suffer an illness and grow their wings far too soon.
Our website is www.angelgownprogram.org.au and our
National Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/angelgownsaustralia?fref=ts
Bo Morse - Deployment to the Philippines with Disaster Aid
President Elect of the Rotary Club Ashgrove- The Gap
Skills & Volunteer Experience
- Member of Rotary International, 1996 to 2014, Concord, CA. Rotary Club-Relocated to Australia April 2014
- Rotary Offices held:
- Past President, Danville Rotary Club, CA 2003-2004, multiple Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary Benefactor, Paul Harris Society member
- Assistant Governor D5160 2004-2005
- District 5160 Membership Chair 2005-2007
- District 5160 Foundation Chair 2007-2009
- Board of Directors-Disaster Aid USA, 2010-present
- District Rotaplast Chair-2009 to the present (cleft palate/cleft lip)
- D5160 Disaster Preparedness & Response Director 2010-2014
- DART-Disaster Aid USA, Disaster response team member-currently member of Disaster Aid Australia
- Salvation Army Emergency Services Team, Concord Corp., HAM radio operator KK6DWL
- CERT trained, community emergency response team, Concord, CA.
- Twenty International humanitarian deployments/missions with Disaster Aid USA and Rotaplast International
Grant Pforr - Water Wheels Wings
Grant Pforr is the Founder, Life Patron, and Committee Member of the Coomera Watersports Club, Patron of Youth Point Connect, Past Patron Runaway Bay RSL sub branch and Runaway Bay Little Athletics, former President Southport SLSC 1999-2002, Life Member of Surf World, Member Gold Coast Turf Club, Long service member of Southport SLSC, Vice President of South Coast Branch of Surf Life Saving, Immediate Past President of Gold Coast North Chamber of Commerce, Past Honorary Member of Gold Coast Tourism, and Council Committee member for the Commonwealth Games 2018 during his period as area Councillor for 8 years.
He received the Australian Sports Medal 2000 awarded by Prime Minister John Howard. He was also a recipient of the Queensland Volunteer medal and a Paul Harris Fellow Award 2010 by the Hope Island Rotary Club for services to the community.
He is now the Chair of Connecting Northern Gold Coast to help support small business and tourism in the north of the city.
A fabulous opportunity for Fellowship and to put ideas to the other e-Club Members about future projects; ideas or just vague thoughts about helping in a particular sector. Brainstorm with amazing people in your own Club and try to fix the World's woes.